Monday, June 21, 2010

What now?

How about owls?? A HUGE great horned owl has found our ducks. Meredith lost Commander Cody on Wednesday night and one of the more solid ancona drakes(not a huge loss) on Thursday night.

Live traps went out thinking it was a coon or the mink visiting. We stayed up late on Friday listening for something and when the hens went off, David snuck out and ran right into the owl. It stood, yes stood on the ground in the pen, about 2 1/2 feet tall! Like I said, HUGE owl. It then hopped up to the perch in the pen and stared at David. Flew away silently.

So this weekend was spent getting a night pen up for the drakes, with a cover and then covering the hen pen with bird mesh.

Whoooo knew???

Later gators.....
C

3 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

Owls are beautiful and amazing birds - but I'd rather be amazed watching them elsewhere, not in my yard with my animals!!! We had fox not long ago; I was afraid my hens would get snatched!!! But they must have been on the move - they were here for a few nights, and now, no more, thankfully!

Cindy said...

I am the same way, love to have the wildlife around here, but not in with the livestock! The horses routinely chase off coyotes. Herons and snappers in the creek. Saw an otter earlier this year. Hawks, bald eagles and kestrels. But the owl, now that's a surprise.

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Ah yes, we had an owl that came out in the evening when Rainbow was a baby. I was terrified to let her out alone. As soon as she got too big for the owl to pick up...poof it was gone!