Friday, June 26, 2009

Dinner time

Last night was the first official solid food for the prisioners. They have been trying to climb in Shooter's food dish-hung high on the side of the xpen and drinking out of her water bucket-much to her dismay. So out came the gruel.

I start them out with baby rice cereal and goat's milk. Make a loose paste and let them have at it. In a few days I will make it a little thicker and start adding protein-usually finally ground turkey or chicken or if time is essential, baby food chicken. By the end of next week we will start adding soaked and mashed puppy food. With cardigans, I use the Pro Plan large breed puppy and by 8-9 weeks have graduated them to the Adult Chicken and Rice.

And on that subject, Purina loose a lot of my trust and business with their shredded food fiasco this last year. Thank GOD they brought the tried and true good formula back, just in time for this litter. But it was a bad 9 mos for the rest of the dogs as I tried to find a food that would keep weight on, hold coat and that they would eat. My only HUGE complaint is that you can only find the C&R in a few stores now and that the price has gone up almost $9 a bag. Around here at Petsmart it's $41 a bag-ugh. Believe it or not, it's more expensive then the Professional formula, which I don't get at all. I worked in the feed business for 10 years and know that a lower protein formula is cheaper to make. Also add in that they only do one size now-no biggy for me, but that also cuts costs.

So here's puppies first dinner....

Later gators....

C

1 comment:

Sherilyn said...

Awwwwwwwwwww...they are getting SO big! :) Can't wait to snuggle them again!