Friday, September 19, 2008

Along came a spider....


I know, it's hard to see, but I forgot to add this photo the other day. Meredith has a rock garden right by the garage and yard gate. She collects rocks, lots of them, so we made this as the spot to deposit them. Otherwise they end up in the washing machine, after she forgets to clean out her jean's pockets.
We have added in a lovely sea green juniper and yes I trim it to keep it with in the boundries. Garrett gave us a few sedum ground cover plants that are in the front. Then we have two types of upright or stonecrop sedum, a lovely pink and a variegated variety. Some nice little cranberry cotoneasters and her very favorite hens and chicks.
This year a rather large gardner snake has taken up residence under the sedum and boy is she big. At times she finds her way into the garage when the door is open. That's okay, as long as she's eating mice, I'm good with that. Add in the bull snake and it's million babies in the mulch pit next to the drive, I am hoping for a mouseless garage this winter.
But as I was inspecting the other day I happened upon this lovely yellow and black garden orbweaver spider. It was my job as a kid to catch them in baby food jars so that my cousin could take them to school for science class. But now it's nice to know that they are around to catch those nasty bugs that plague us in late summer. Similar to the bats, swallows and frogs, we allow them to reside with us as natural pest control. My only concern will be if it starts writing words in it's web-granted it is a zoo around here but really.....
Later gators....
C

No comments: